- 2 colors of paper
- glue stick
- a piece of yarn, string, or ribbon
- hole punch
- Start by having your child trace his or her hand on the paper, and cut it out with scissors. Assist where necessary.
- Have your child use a glue stick to glue the thumb and middle finger together, then fold the ring finger and pinkie down so only the pointer finger is pointing up as a number "1".
- Cut out fingernail shapes for your child out of a seperate color of paper, and have him or her glue them onto the finger tips. You can help with the placement. Again, nothing has to be perfect.
- Write out the beginning of the Nicene creed for your child "We believe in one God, the Father the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth. Of all that is seen and unseen". I wrote ours out lightly with a pencil, and had my 4 year old trace over it with her marker.
- Punch a hole in the bottom of the hand, and the top of the prayer. Your preschooler can lace the yarn or string through the holes, and you can tie them together.
- Practice drawing the number 1 on the hand, and/or write out the word "One".
The hopes of this craft is to teach your preschooler to recognize the number 1, be able to draw a number 1, and know that we believe in only one God. This seems very basic, but when I first told my 4 year old yesterday that we believe in one God, her reply was "No, Mommy. There are lots of Gods in all the churches!". Glad I decided to start with the basics...
My 4 year old really surprised me with her ability to trace such a long prayer. I haven't been giving her enough stuff to work on for sure!
If you don't want to write out the prayer, I created this image that you can print and hang from the bottom of your hand in stead. (Each week for this preschool we are also going to be working on a memory prayer or bible verse that coordinates with the theme, and for the first week this is it).
If you have older children you'd like to do a "We believe in ONE God craft" with, try making some God's eyes! Hope you and your kids enjoy this craft- I know we did! Send me pictures of your kids with their completed crafts if you can :-)
Lydia with her "1 God" craft. She's so proud!
If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.