Jesus Fish Craft

Catholic ABC's Week: 11
Letter of the week: F
Theme: Fish
Saint of the Week: St. Faustina
Craft: Chalk Jesus Fish


This craft is great for preschoolers as long as you keep the paper small so they don't become frustrated with coloring. It's also great for older kids to learn about blending colors, and you really can't mess it up.

Materials Needed to Complete This Craft:
  • Black Paper (I used cut up black poster board)
  • School Glue
  • Colored Chalk (I used chalk pastels for brighter colors, but any colored chalk will work)
Prep
Draw a simple Jesus fish on your black paper with some school glue and let it dry overnight.


After the glue is thoroughly dry, give kids the colored chalk and let them go crazy! Encourage them to blend the colors with their fingers and use the chalk sideways if they'd like.


You really will get brighter results with chalk pastels, but when I did this with my preschool co-op I just used regular ol Crayola® Multi-Colored Chalk - 12 Ct. and it worked just fine!

Crayola® Multi-Colored Chalk - 12 Ct. 
I wish I had pictures of the ones my kids made to show you, but I'm having some major computer problems. When I'm able to retrieve the pictures, I'll try and post some. In the mean time, here are the ones I made:


 

After your kids are all done coloring, you might need to moisten the end of your finger and gently clean the chalk off the glue.

Grab Bag Ideas for the Letter Ff: (be sure to check out the Classroom Script for directions on using the grab bag.) Fish, toy Farmer, Feather, Flamingo, Flower, Flip Flip, Family (holy family statue or holy card), toy Fairy.

For More Resources, check out the Catholic Toolbox lesson plans for the Letter Ff. (Her Ff lesson is on "Fishers of Men")

Catholic ABC's runs here at Catholic Icing every Wednesday with the new letter of the week. You can get the details of this program by checking out the Classroom Script.


Catholic ABC's

If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS. Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It's so easy I might be able to do it with my son...might ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great F week activity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! They're the icing on my cake ;-)