Crucifix Craft

Catholic ABC's Week: 8
Letter of the week: C
Theme: Crucifix
Saint of the Week: St. Clare
Craft: Catholic Crucifix Craft


This is a really great craft for kids of almost any age down to 2 years olds. But before I get into this craft, I wanted to post a few disclaimers. First of all, this craft has been passed down through a couple of moms in my preschool co-op, and I did not draw this image of Jesus, so I hope I don't upset anyone by posting it- I don't know where it came from. Also, I'm not personally a fan of the risen Jesus crucifix because I feel like it's a contradictory concept. I hope to draw a different Jesus for this craft before Lent.

Materials Needed to Complete this Craft:
  • Wooden Cross (available at any Michael's, AC Moore, or pretty much any craft store for $1 each)
  • This Printable Jesus (I think this coloring page will work for a regular non-risen crucifix. You might have to play with the size to get it right for your cross.)
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brush
  • Crayons
  • Scissors
  • School Glue
    First, let your child color Jesus however he or she would like.

    Give each child a wooden cross and allow them to paint. Use caution because acrylic paint is not washable. I provided only pastel colors of yellow and blue. This way even if they mix the paint it's only going to make green, and because it's pastel colored it won't be as noticeable if they miss a place on the cross. 


    While your child paints their cross, cut out Jesus for them. You can stick this right on while the paint is wet and it will stick, or you can put some school glue on the back and stick it on. Don't use a glue stick for this project.
    Here are the completed crucifixes from my 2 year old co-op class:

    And here are some crucifixes made by 4 year olds.

    Grab Bag Ideas for the Letter Cc: (be sure to check out the Classroom Script for directions on using the grab bag.) Cat, Clock, Cross, Crucifix, Comb, Candle, Crayon, Candy, Cards, Clothes pin.

    For More Resources, check out the Catholic Toolbox lesson plans for the Letter Cc. (Her Cc lesson is on "Creation")

    Catholic ABC's runs here at Catholic Icing every Wednesday with the new letter of the week. You can get the details of this program by checking out the Classroom Script.

    Catholic ABC's

    If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS. Photobucket

    3 comments:

    1. lovely. my 3 year old daughter has been and is enchanted with the crucifix -- Jesus dying on the cross and rising! she would enjoy making this craft, but yes, we may use a dying Christ instead of the rising one. though the rising one is beautiful and we could color him for Easter. thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    2. ωonԁегful put up, verу informativе.

      I wonder ωhy the oppoѕite expeгts of this
      ѕector dο not reаlize this. Үou muѕt proceeԁ youг writіng.

      I'm sure, you'νe a gгeat readers' base already!

      Review my web blog - http://linkedinsports.myworkdemos.com/

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for your comments! They're the icing on my cake ;-)